Michael Steppie, M.D.
An award-winning doctor dedicated to skin health and skin care
Michael Steppie, M.D., is the president and medical director of Associates in Dermatology, a leading dermatology practice established for more than 25 years in Central Florida.
He is a board-certified physician who has completed residencies in internal medicine, dermatology and dermatologic surgery and is also a Mohs micrographic skin cancer surgeon.
Dr. Steppie works continuously to spread the word about skin cancer risks, treatments and preventive measures. His practice reflects his combined focus on research, patient care as well as skin care.
Indeed, as the leading skin cancer and skin care specialist in Central Florida, he has become a favorite interviewee in the media on national and local news on topics involving skin's health and beauty.
Besides being a dedicated member of the prestigious Amonette Circle of the Skin Cancer Foundation for the 7th consecutive year, Dr. Steppie stays involved in the community and also participated several years in a row in the Skin Cancer Foundation's Road to Healthy Skin Tour which provides free skin cancer screenings all over the country.
In 2012, Michael Steppie, joined WebMD®'s panel of expert among the Skin Cancer/Melanoma Community®. During the same year, Dr. Steppie wrote an article, published in The Skin Cancer Foundation Journal “Skin Cancer and the Gender Gap”,
Why More men die from Skin Cancer (p51-52).
Then, more recently, in the 2017 issue of The Skin Cancer Foundation Journal, Dr. Steppie then shared his expertise on how to spot skin cancer in the feature titled "Ask the Experts," (Download the issue here and see page 24).
This compassionate physician was featured in Discovery Channel’s Discovery Health - Mystery Diagnosis - Episode 808 - “The Girl Who Was Covered With Bumps”, (see footage aired in 2015) as he unveiled a rarely diagnosed case of cerebrotendinous xanthomatosis (CTX).
He has been honored with multiple recognition awards from the American Medical Association as well as from the American Association of Physicians Specialists (AAPS) as he received the Physician of the year Award in Dermatology in 2012 and in 2018, he became part of their Board of Directors.
Dr. Steppie also received several Patient’s Choice awards from Vitals, and In 2017 and 2018, he was voted among the Top Physicians from Orlando Family Magazine.
Since 2012 till this day, this award-winning doctor has been an Assistant Professor of Dermatology affiliated with Florida State University College of Medicine (Orlando Regional Campus). Back in 2011 and 2012 he was also an Assistant Professor of Dermatology affiliated with the University of Central Florida College Of Medicine.
Research with Results
Michael Steppie, MD goes beyond clinical practice and his involvement in the community to pursue dermatologic research that may advance skin cancer detection. One of his lines of research, in collaboration with Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute at Lake Nona, involved identifying biomarkers that may predict susceptibility to melanoma.
“The promise of finding cancer early, when it can be most effectively treated, is really exciting,” Dr. Steppie says. “Identifying melanoma biomarkers could be the first step in developing earlier, more reliable diagnostics that could, in turn, reduce deaths.”
This collaborative melanoma research was published in the Journal of Investigative Dermatology in April 2017. Dr. Steppie also contributed to a breakthrough study on vitiligo, published only five months later.
Find out more on those research:
Here are a few more of his local and national media and News coverage.
- On October 3, 2018, Associates in Dermatology was featured in Central Florida Lifestyle Magazine. See the full article here.
- In the October 2018 issue of Orlando Style Magazine, Dr. Steppie was featured among the top professionals in a special section titled: No. 1 Readers Choice.
- In the February 2018 issue of Orlando Style Magazine, Dr. Steppie was featured among the top professionals in a special section titled: Doctor Knows Best.
- In the July/August 2017 issue of Osceola Woman Magazine, Dr. Steppie advises parents on ways to prepare their kid's skin for the new school year. Read the full article here.
- In the Spring/Summer 2017 issue of CMD Magazine, Dr. Steppie shares the importance of skin cancer awareness. See page 8.
- In the January/February 2017 issue of Osceola Woman Magazine, Dr. Steppie's shares his expert advice on how to achieve a smoother, tighter, and more youthful complexion. See the full article here.
- In the Fall 2016 Medical Directory of the Southwest Orlando Bulletin, Dr. Steppie appeared on the cover. The article featured Associates in Dermatology and it's focus on patient-centered care. See page 14.
- In the September 2016 issue of Orlando Magazine, Dr. Steppie's expert advice was quoted in an article on hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating). Read the article here.
- In the March 2016 issue of Osceola Woman Magazine, Dr. Steppie shares his tips for health skin, hair, and nails. Read the article here.
- In the November/December 2015 issue of Osceola Woman Magazine, Dr. Steppie shares his tips for a radiant and youthful glow during the holidays. Read the article here.
- In the September/October 2015 issue of Osceola Woman Magazine, Dr. Steppie shares his tips for defying skin aging with non-surgical options. Read the article here.
- In the July/August 2015 issue of Orlando Style Magazine, Dr. Steppie was featured among the top professionals in a special section feature titled: Orlando's No. 1 Elite Doctors.
- In March 2015 of Osceola Woman Magazine, Dr. Steppie shares his expert advice on eczema and what to do about it. Read the full article here.
- In April, 2014, Orlando physician Dr. Steppie, was honored as one of America's Most Compassionate Doctors by Patient's Choice for the third year in a row.
- In 2014, for the fourth consecutive year, Dr. Michael Steppie, puts his expertise to good work, keeping Fox 35’s viewers aware of the potential harm associated with increased sun exposure.
- In May 2012, Dr. Steppie was interviewed on FOX 35 to comment on the recent apology from the worldwide clothing retailer H&M to the Swedish Cancer Society regarding a campaign where models appeared too tanned.
- In 2010, Dr. Michael Steppie appeared on Orlando's Channel 6 News, in a segment about the risks associated with using the UV lights found in nail salons to dry nails.